Betta Trading
Some of our beautiful, or useful garden plants are  also poisonous both to us and to some of our pets.  This doesn't mean that we have to get rid of them, just to be sensible.  Humans and animals have existed alongside poisonous plants for a very long time, and have learned to avoid be killed by them. Frequently the danger to animals comes when they have little alternative. If the only plant available to eat is poisonous, the animal either eats or starves. If a herbivorous animal like a Guinea Pig, Sheep or Quokka is loose in a garden with a good variety of grasses and other plants, some of them poisonous, they will generally be perfectly all right, simply eating the harmless and nutritious plants and leaving the poisonous ones alone. If the animal is confined to a hutch or pen, you should not give them poisonous plants.
Here are a few common poisonous garden plants and trees.

African boxthorn

African lily

Agapanthus

Amaryllis

Angel’s trumpet

Apple of Sodom

Apricot

Arum lily

Autumn crocus

Ballon cotton bush

Bat’s wing coral tree

Belladonna lilies

Bird of paradise plant

Bitter almond

Black bean

Blackberry nightshade

Black locust

Bluebells

Broom

Bulbs

Burrawang

Bushman’s poison

Calla lily

Camphor laurel

Cape tulips

Carolina jessamine

Castor oil plant

Cherry

Christmas rose

Climbing lily

Cotoneaster

Cotton bush

Cunjevoi

Cyclamen

Daffodils

Daphne

Deadly nightshade

Devil’s apple

Dumb cane

Dwarf sago palm

Elephant’s ears

English broom

European beech

False acacia

Flax lily

Foxglove

Frangipani

Ghost weed

Glory/Gloriosa lily

Golden chain tree

Golden dewdrop

Green cestrum

Heart-leaf philodendron

Hellebores

Hemlock

Holly

Hyacinths

Hydrangea

Jerusalem cherry

Jonquils

Laburnum

Lacquer tree

Lantana

Lily-of-the-valley

Lupins

Madeira winter cherry

Moreton Bay chestnut

Morning glory

Mushrooms

Naked ladies

Nectarine

Oak

Peach

Pellitory

Peruvian lily

Petty spurge

Pigeon berry

Plum

Poison ivy

Privet

Rhubarb

Rhus

Scotch broom

Silky oak

Sky flower

Snow-on-the mountains

Stinging nettle

Swan plant

Sweet pea

Taro

Thornapple

Toadstools

Tobacco

Tree-of-heaven

Trumpet vine

Tulips

Varnish tree

White cedar

Winter rose

Wintersweet

Wisteria

Yellow allamanda


Bird of Paradise Plant Caesalpinia gilliesii

Eating the Pods or seeds causes nausea, vomiting and diarrhoea.








All bulbs, and all parts of bulb plants should be treated as poisonous unless you know definitely otherwise.
The onion is a bulb which is a good food for humans, but is dangerous for some animals.

Avocados are highly nutritious for people, but are poisonous to some animals.

Peaches, Cherries and Nectarines are only on the list of poisonous plants because the kernels of their seeds contain enough cyanide to be dangerous if eaten in quantity.

The berries of the Cotoneaster bush are both beautiful and poisonous.



The Fox Glove is a plant that is attractive and is useful in natural medicine, under strict control,  but is potentially deadly if eaten.


Rhubarb is a good vegetable that it also very attractive in the garden. Both the stems and the leaves contain oxalic acid. The stems only have enough to give the pleasant sour taste of Rhubarb, but the concentration in the leaves is potentially deadly.
You should stick to tried and tested recipes for the stems and never eat the leaves. It is safer not to give any part of the plant to your pets.



The Laburnum comes in white and golden forms. Both are beautiful trees, but all parts of the tree are poisonous. The most dangerous part is the seeds.
It is also called the Golden Chain Tree, and happens to be a tree my wife particularly likes.



Japanese Honeysuckle is an attractive climbing plant. All parts are poisonous and can irritate the skin under some conditions.


The Silky Oak is a tree native to subtropical Australia and is found both in the rain forest and further inland in drier regions. It can cause severe allergic reactions, although I have never experienced them, despite growing and handling this tree for years.


Stinging Nettles are on the list because they can sting if you touch them, but they are edible plants, and a good source of a number of vitamins and minerals. It has even been suggested that the stinging nettle is the most nutritious plant on Earth. It also has medicinal uses.  If you intend to try it, do some research into recipes etc. before you do.


Mushrooms and Toadstools  are the fruiting bodies of a large group of fungi. They include many edible ones, as well as many poisonous types. Only eat ones you are sure are safe.
Here is the very common Fly acaric. This fungus can grow in symbiosis with several types of tree, including Silver Birch, Pine and Fur trees. As well as being potentially very dangerous if not prepared properly it has psychoactive substances in it. The behaviour of Reindeer after eating it gave rise the idea of flying Reindeer.